#nyc #fitness #exercise #motivation #dedication #inspiration #pt #offer #weightloss
- "Increases the pH level in and slows down digestion."
Increases the pH in…what, exactly? The image doesn’t even say.
Sucralose (Splenda) is very similar in structure to sucrose (table sugar). If one of these products changes the pH of your poop (which is what I believe the image is implying), then the pH is also going to change from the other as well. This isn’t exactly new information - This is mostly due to our body striving to digest it. Nearly everything that you eat affects the pH of your poo and urine.
- "Kills the good bacteria in the intestines by 50%."
Nah. This myth comes from a 2008 study (that was conducted with rats, not humans, and funded by the Sugar Association) in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health. Even though the study claimed that Splenda might "contribute to obesity, destroy ‘good’ intestinal bacteria and prevent prescription drugs from being absorbed," this info was refuted by a review the following year in Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. An Expert Panel had found that the previous study was “deficient in several critical areas” and that its conclusions “are not consistent with published literature and not supported by the data presented.” There isn’t sufficient evidence to conclude that Splenda harms our gastrointestinal microflora.
It was the above study that concluded this too, and it was refuted at the same time as the above claim. There really isn’t enough scientific reviewed evidence to prove that Splenda specifically leads to weight gain in humans. Of course it has the potential to lead to an increased caloric intake, since Splenda’s lack of calories may encourage people to overeat other ingredients as a form of compensation, but that isn’t necessarily a flaw in the product itself.
And let’s be honest here - All food can promote weight gain. That’s one of the many risks of eating. This is a shameful rhetorical tactic that’s preying on your fear of fat.
- "Splenda is considered hepatotoxic and nephrotoxic which leads to liver and kidney lesions."
Let’s start by defining these words: Hepatotoxic means that a product causes injury to our liver. And nephrotoxic means that a product injures our kidneys. The fact that the image decided to throw both these words around, without explaining them, then add that Splenda leads to liver & kidney lesions? Feels like fear-mongering to me. That sort of repetition isn’t necessary, it’s a way of scaring people with scientific language.
Now, sucralose can potentially become toxic at levels of 500 mg/kg. However, this is far more than the average person would be able to consume and process within any given time. It would take years of over-eating to achieve this level of toxicity. It would also take constipation and dehydration like whoa.
A 150 pound adult would have to consume 680 packets of Splenda within one sitting in order to hit this point. So, uh, if you’re planning on doing that - Please don’t. For many, many reasons. But for the rest of us, we’re safe as long as we’re consuming the recommended dosage and using the bathroom in a regular manner.
- "7% of Splenda remains 5 days after consumption and may lead to kidney damage."
It is a good thing that Splenda cannot be completely absorbed by our bodies or broken down for energy. That is one of the reasons why this product is so low in calories - Our bodies are capable of enjoying the sweetness of the food, then excreting all the unnecessary bits.
About 85% of the Splenda we eat is going to be excreted (unchanged) through poop within 24 hours, while the remaining 15% is absorbed and then excreted through urine. Sucralose is relatively inert, is water soluble and doesn’t bind with any of the proteins in our body, so it isn’t going to be stored in any significant amount. This 7% deal is false.
Plus, isn’t Splenda a healthier alternative to the aspartame used in most diet sodas?